Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reflecting on the Research Project Experience

Doing the research project made me learn many useful skills that I can apply when I work with teams in the future. Through the process, I realized the importance of time management. Time management was something I struggled with during the project. In addition to the tight schedule for this project, it was the mid-semester examination period. There were many things we had to do and there was a need to learn to prioritize and work efficiently.
My group members accommodated to each other’s examination schedule and divided the workload accordingly. This enabled us to have time to study for tests as well as do research for our project. Communication skills are essential in teamwork. When we did not have enough time to complete our designated parts, we informed each other and reassigned the tasks accordingly. This is important because we should be honest with each other. There is a need to understand each other and with that, we are able to work effectively as a group.
As a team player, I had to learn to work efficiently to ensure I complete my parts on time. Besides speed, accuracy is also a major factor in working efficiently. Working efficiently also includes understanding the parts you are doing well. This saves time when explaining to your group members. When I am explaining my ideas and opinions, my group members will listen actively and only voice out their opinions after I have finished talking. This is a form of showing respect and we should also remember this because we want to be respected too.
On the overall, I had a positive learning experience doing the research project. I was able to apply my knowledge of effective communication skills in a real situation and I also learnt a lot from my project mates. Effective communication improves the relationship among us and it definitely aids in speeding up the work process. Being able to set your priorities right and work efficiently is needed for good time management.

8 comments:

En Lin said...

Hi, I also had time management problems while doing the project. Sometimes, I took a lot of time to do my part and it caused me to sleep late at times, or even neglecting my other modules. Thus, the team has to have understanding towards each other's workload, otherwise one may not be able to complete the assigned task on time which will lead to the overall delay of the project. In workplace this may cause bigger problems like being looked at as one who is inefficient by fellow colleagues or higher authority.

제니 said...

I agree with you that time management is very important. I also had problems in finding time to do the project. Sometimes, I had to stay up late in the night to finish my part. Thus, I feel that I still have a lot to improve in this area. It is also important to finish each of our parts on time so we don't affect our team members' schedule. Otherwise, the working relationship would be strained.

sheenee said...

hi project mate! the problems you mentioned were what I've said and more. Time management will always be a problem for us no matter which project we are involved in, especially so for this one. Complementary timetable as well as exam schedule is important so that we can help each other out if someone is busy. However, this is an issue of fate which neither of us can have a say in it, so... (haha) You can't be more right about the point of having a good understanding of the part we are involved in. This perhaps could be made better if we spend more time discussing each of the parts we were supposed to handle. Through the communication with each other, we can eliminate most of the doubts we have.

May said...

I also had time management problems in my project. Sometimes, I had to stay quite late to finish my part and pass to my group member for continuation. Therefore, I realized that I have to improve to get the better time management skill. Moreover, we have tofinish our part on time not to effect the project's schedule. Sometimes, while one of our members is having exams or other projects, we have to understand and help each other to distribute the workload.

Regina Eei Yin said...

Active listening play a major role during discussions. It enable us to get the ideas from our group members efficiently without wasting each others' time to repeat the same thing to get their message conveyed. To practice active listening, we have to be patient, wait until he or she finish talking before we continue, and also be more opened minded. These are especially crucial while working in a team.

MJ said...

I've read something about time management last time when i went for this seminar in an MLM company.

The course was very interesting and they taught us to be better with time. Anyway, I did not adhere to it because it is very troublesome to follow! haha

"God did not give us 24hrs for nothing. He knows that it is just enough."

Haha, heard this line from a church pastor. He said that if we know how to plan our time well, 24hrs a day is enough! (don't know how true is that, i shall take it as it is! I'm poor with time management skills anyway.)

Kai Ling said...

I think time management will always be a problem for us, whether in school or work. However, I believe we should not just work and work and work all the time till we do not have time for ourselves, family and friends! There should always be time set aside for personal matters and leisure. Life is too short to just work all the time!

grace kim said...

Hi Kai Ling, it's good to know that you had a positive learning experience from doing the project. Am glad that you had supportive and accommodating group members. This is crucial to the success of the project.

I am really happy that you were able to apply your knowledge of effective communication when working with your friends on the research project as well as reap the benefits of such communication.